Sign in each week for the unfiltered viewpoints of our authors and editors as they break down the most popular subjects in the sport, and sign up with the discussion by tweeting us@golf_com Today, we go over Collin Morikawa’s success, The Concession Golf Club, Brooks vs. DJ, Annika Sorenstam and more.
Tiger Woods remains in the ideas of the Trip Confidential team. We want him a complete and fast healing.
1. Collin Morikawa got his 3rd PGA Trip title in 8 months on Sunday, coolly winning the WGC-Workday Champion by 3 strokes over a chase pack that consisted of Brooks Koepka and Viktor Hovland. For all the current speak about the value of range in the professional video game, Morikawa has actually stood out with a 295-yard driving average, which isn’t brief by Trip requirements, however isn’t long, either. (In truth, 295 is precisely the Trip average.) In your mind, which part of Morikawa’s video game has most powered his success?
Michael Bamberger, senior author: His head. Simply looks like a level-headed, gathered individual who is going to make great choices under tension and not get too down when things go south or too up when he’s riding high.
Josh Sens, senior author (@JoshSens): You do not notch 4 Trip wins by such a young age without having the intangible Michael points out. However if we’re taking a look at tough numbers, it’s his iron video game, as the stroke-gained statistics verify.
Sean Zak, senior editor (@sean_zak): Everybody learns about his irons video game, however truly he’s so damn positive, and hasn’t let his putting problems permeate into other parts of his video game. He anticipated all this success, even if that’s an impractical viewpoint. He’ll anticipate to win at the Players, too, and his ballstriking will undoubtedly press him into contention.
Dylan Dethier, senior author (@dylan_dethier): Irons, irons, irons. I invested a lot of time strolling with Morikawa today, and I was struck by simply the number of times he struck an iron to the most intelligent possible part of the green. When we’re composing guideline short articles, I frequently reference making “aggressive swings at conservative targets” and when he’s on, Morikawa has both the brains and the surgical accuracy to perform on that like no one I can keep in mind conserve possibly Tiger Woods.
2. The WGC-Workday was bet the very first time at The Concession Golf Club in Bradenton, Fla.; Concession was a late fill-in for the normal place, Club de Golf Chapultepec, in Mexico City. Though Morikawa ended up at 18 under, Concession was no piece of cake, providing the field with a range of risk-reward choices and tough shots, specifically around the greens. Would you like to see Concession infiltrated the routine Trip schedule? ( Disclosure: The course was constructed by Nicklaus Style, which is an affiliate of GOLF.com’s moms and dad business, 8AM Golf.)
Bamberger: Yes and no. Appears like a course you might make as tough as you desire, however more WGC occasions require to be played beyond the lower 48.
Sens: Certainly high home entertainment worth. As we saw with the wild variation in scoring, it would be specifically cool as a match-play place.
Zak: Yes! However damn that’s a lot of great courses in a brief period. Could we get it in … October? Is that insane talk? I simply dislike seeing gamers skip courses like Pebble in favor of other events/tournaments. February and March have EXCESSIVE terrific Trip golf.
Dethier: Oh yeah. I like the turmoil! For referral, Riviera, which is especially hard, drawn out 97 bogeys and 5 “others” from the field at last week’s Genesis Invitational. Today, in a smaller sized field at the WGC-Workday, gamers made 110 doubles and 26 “others”– and the greens weren’t even near to complete speed! As a fan of turmoil on Trip, I remain in.
3. Brooks Koepka, who won the Waste Management Phoenix Open 3 weeks earlier, had another strong start at the WGC, ending up at 15 under, great for a tie for 2nd. In the very first 2 rounds, Koepka had fun with his one-time celebration bro, Dustin Johnson, and beat him by a cumulative 12 shots; Johnson went on to complete at 5 over for the week and in 54th location. Prop wager time! Whose cumulative rating in the 2021 majors will be much better: Koepka’s or DJ’s, and why?
Bamberger: Koepka. Even when Dustin Johnnson is going terrific, he has a much larger variety of ratings. He does not bring it once again and once again. Koepka does. Koepka has a far much better opportunity of playing 288 holes, which is the beginning point for this wager, as I read it.
Sens: It’s tough to wager versus Koepka’s record in the majors when he’s healthy. However whatever occurs, together with Jordan Spieth’s revival, the Koepka-Johnson concern indicate what I believe guarantees to be the most engaging throughline of the 2021 season. Provided their shared past and the type of video game they both play, they’re the closest thing we have in the video game to a competition, so they have actually that opting for them. As a bonus offer, I presume we’ll see them combined in the majors more than as soon as.
Zak: The response is DJ. Brooks has never ever truly peaked in February and March prior to. Can he remain hot All Year Long? DJ may be playing some typical golf today, however he’ll call it in quickly sufficient to be in contention a lot this summertime.
Dethier: Dustin Johnson is the very best golf enthusiast on the planet. If we’re getting back at chances, how could you prevent him here? When he gets his chauffeur operated in, he’ll be back in time for significant season.
4. Fifty-year-old Annika Sorenstam, playing in her very first LPGA occasion considering that 2008, remarkably made it at the Gainbridge LPGA, however she stated Sunday that it’s not likely that we’ll see her play another LPGA occasion. “My level of golf is not where it requires to be,” she stated after ending up 74th. “I understand I do not have the inspiration to arrive. I do not even understand physically if it’s possible.” What do you believe? If Sorenstam did inspire and totally devoted herself to playing full-time once again, could she be competitive on the LPGA?
Bamberger: Competitive? Yes, she might make cuts frequently and top-10 every now and then and possibly win a number of occasions if she played in 45 competitions over 3 years. That would be useless to her.
Sens: She might put herself into the mix, no doubt. However competitive isn’t dominant. There’s simply excessive young skill out there for that to take place.
Zak: I enjoyed seeing her back out there. She had all our attention throughout the peak of her profession. The females’s video game is a lot more robust now, too. However reasonably, she’s informing the reality. It’s a lot to ask out of an older gamer. Will I tune in to more female senior occasions? Hell yeah.
Dethier: I want she ‘d play a couple of more occasions, even if I like the concept that she might have this winning X-factor, not utilize it for 13 years and after that tap back into it as soon as she’s back in competitive play. However I comprehend why she would not.
5. In the 2nd round, Sorenstam got an inaccurate judgment from an authorities that cost Sorenstam a shot. The guidelines do not enable retroactive corrections when it comes to a bad judgment. Should they?
Bamberger: I believe it can be done, and it definitely has actually been done. Bob Jones was the supreme guidelines authority at the Masters. However in this circumstance, Annika holed out after taking a drop, which makes complex matters. Her play on the hole unfolded a specific method since of the inaccurate choice, and you can’t get that back. Had she played 2 balls, one from the open gate position, one as advised, she might have counted the open-gate rating at the end of the day. She had the best concept, and Annika, a minimum of by credibility, is a guidelines specialist.
Sens: Yes. It has actually currently been shown to operate in other sports. Naturally, even retroactive judgments aren’t constantly ideal. However on balance, they have actually been a good idea, producing fairer results. Golf prides itself on fairness. Why not take a really workable action towards guaranteeing it?
Zak: Why not? When once again, it looks like good sense can be used to the guidelines of golf, however in some cases the guidelines do not wish to listen to good sense.
Dethier: Yes. However in this case, I do not believe it would have rather exercised unless, as Bamberger states, she ‘d played a 2nd ball.
6. GOLF’s most current model of ClubTest dropped previously today. ( Examine it out here!) Every golf enthusiast has a club that holds an unique location in their heart. When you review all the equipment you’ve played through the years, which single club (or set) do you most treasure?
Bamberger: An Otey Crisman mallet with a wood shaft, leather grip and brass insert that I utilized for about twenty years and never ever yipped as soon as with it. I may need to dig it out, though I believe the shaft deformed. Likewise, its sensations got injured when I went to a steel-shafted, stubby-toed T.P. Mills, with shoe polish on it to lessen glare, which I discovered more efficient as a cracking club on quick, dry fairways. A scorned putter does not do anything for its owner. You may too yard-sell it and possibly I currently did.
Sens: At Some Point in the ’80s, the youth buddy who presented me to golf offered me a Ping Anser putter (Scottsdale edition) that was, for years, the only putter I ever utilized. It went inexplicably missing out on from my bag a number of years earlier. I understand that it was of some monetary worth. However it was the emotional loss that truly injured. In my undoubtedly revisionist memory, that putter never ever failed me. I do not believe i have actually made anything beyond 5 feet considering that.
Zak: The Adams 3-hybrid (with routine flex shaft!) I was talented by Eamon Lynch back in 2014. It was gathering dust in his workplace at the time, however has actually now remained in my bag for almost 7 years. It’s rather loyal.
Dethier: I ‘d never ever utilized anything more lofted than a pitching wedge till I scored an utilized Nike 56 degree wedge my freshman year of high school, and I generally broke with absolutely nothing else for the next 6 years. I’m now a transform to the world of the 60-degree, however I’m unsure my cracking has actually always enhanced. …